Welcome to the BYlines Blog!

Since 1999, it has been my pleasure to write a weekly message to my congregation called BYlines. Now, with the availability of the BYlines Blog, readers have the opportunity to write me back and to share their points of view with me and other members of our community. That's really what a blog is - a public conversation where everything is available for everyone to see and to share. So after you read BYlines each week, follow the link to the BYlines Blog and let me know what you're thinking. I look forward to a spirited conversation!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

In the Beginning, There Was a Book

Shabbat Shalom!

I have never met Nina Sankovitch of Westport, Conn., but on her 46th birthday, she made a personal commitment to read a book a day for the entire year. As the New York Times reported, Nina has now read more than 350 books this year and is very close to finishing her self-imposed obligation.

I admire Nina's determination and steadfastness in never wavering in her goal, and I say that not only as someone who loves books but as a Jew. The commitment to study and learn every day is woven into the very fabric of Judaism, exemplified by our people's commitment this week to begin reading the Torah again from the very beginning, starting this Shabbat with Genesis 1:1 and continuing until we reach Deuteronomy 34:12 a year from now.

We are obliged to do this even as we juggle numerous other pursuits, such as jobs, family and the thousand-and-one distractions that are part of our daily lives. "Don't say you'll study when you find the time," Judaism cautions, "lest you never find the time." We are urged to set a fixed time each day to read and learn.

A book a day may be too much for most of us, but how about a book a month? All this leads me to announce my new online "Jewish Book Circle" that will start in November and to which you are cordially invited. Each month this year, I will choose a book that I think is worth the time to read - in other words, a serious book that, when completed, will hopefully leave us feeling it was time well spent. A new online site will offer an introduction to the book and an opportunity for us to talk about it. And one Friday night each month, I'll use that book as the basis for my sermon.

Yes, Nina Sankovitch has inspired me! And coupled with the start of the new Torah cycle for 5770, I'm looking forward to reading more, learning more and growing more in the coming year. I hope you'll join me.

Shabbat Shalom!

Rabbi Rosen

[To learn more about the Jewish Book Circle, please click here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment